Sign up for a site account. Get daily email alerts with the latest UA Local 716 updates and use your account to update your contact, dues, and other information.
Welcome to our site! The purpose and mission of the United Association Local 716 State of Maine is to:
PROTESTS IN MAINE
STAND UP TO WALMART
This help stand up for Walmart workers everywhere as they strike and take action across the country.
Come join an action in Ellsworth, Scarborough, Augusta or Auburn in solidarity with Walmart workers and all low-wage workers in Maine.
Strikes are spreading through Walmart’s stores nationwide to protest poverty wages and poor working conditions. Recently, Walmart workers in Ohio walked off the job and 50 protesters were arrested outside a Walmart in Los Angles. Last week, Walmart workers in Chicago and Seattle joined their coworkers in going on strike to protest Walmart’s retaliation against those who speak out.
Please stand up for low-wage workers everywhere by joining us on .
Auburn at : (Sponsored by Western ME Labor Council): CLICK HERE to get info and RSVP for the AUBURN action
Ellsworth at :(Sponsored by Community Union of Ellsworth) CLICK HERE to get info and RSVP for the ELLSWORTH action
Augusta at : (Sponsored by MoveOn) Click HERE to get info and RSVP for the Augusta action.
Scarborough at :(Sponsored by Southern ME Labor Council) CLICK HERE to get info and RSVP for the SCARBOROUGH Action
Want to host an action at another store? It's easy! E-Mail me back and I can help you set it up, or you can sign-up here: www.blackfridayprotests.org
Know anyone who works at Walmart or used to work there? Please let me know - we are looking to connect with Maine Walmart workers.
Did you know...
• As many as 825,000 Walmart workers are paid less than $25,000 a year because of low wages and not getting enough hours.
• Workers can’t raise their families on these poverty wages. In Ohio, associates held a food drive – for each other – to make sure everyone had Thanksgiving dinner. Anthony Goytia – father of three - relies on payday loans and even sells his own plasma to cover the bills. After 11 years at Walmart, Patricia Locks makes only $19,000 a year and relies on food banks and food stamps to feed her teenage daughter.
• Because Walmart is paying so little, many workers are forced to rely on taxpayer-funded programs just to cover the basics. Walmart workers are estimated to rely on more than $900,000 in food stamps, Medicaid and other public supports at just one of the company’s 4,000 stores. Americans want Walmart to take responsibility as the largest employer in the country. We want Walmart to improve its jobs, and help improve the economy.
• The six heirs of Sam Walton, founder of Walmart, have a combined net worth of $144.7 billion.
• Public policy organization Demos issued a report this month showing that Walmart could pay every employee at least $14.89 per hour, without raising prices. Walmart spent $7.6 billion last year to buy back shares of its own stock and further enrich the Waltons. The buybacks did nothing to boost Walmart’s productivity or bottom line. These funds could provide Walmart’s low-wage workers a raise of $5.83 an hour.
SEE YOU ! For more information call me at 622-9675 or reply to this e-mail.
Have a great Thanksgiving,
Propane and Natural Gas Licensure Courses
We envision a future in which our company treats us, the Associates of Walmart, with respect and dignity. We envision a world where we succeed in our careers, our company succeeds in business, our customers receive great service and value, and Walmart and Associates share all of these goals.
OUR Walmart works to ensure that every Associate, regardless of his or her title, age, race, or sex, is respected at Walmart. We join together to offer strength and support in addressing the challenges that arise in our stores and our company everyday.
In June of 2011, nearly 100 Associates representing thousands of OUR Walmart members from across the United States came to the Walmart Home Office in Bentonville, Ark., and presented a Declaration of Respect to Walmart executive management. The Declaration calls on Walmart to publicly commit to:
Adopting this Declaration will make Walmart a better company for Associates, customers and the communities in which it operates. As Sam Walton said, “Share your profits with all your Associates, and treat them as partners.”
Local 716 Member,
Please inform yourself. The attached "Score Card" is an amazing informational tool. This record is your local representative's record on paper. Please take the time to read and be an informed voter!
Waterfront Protection Ordinance Threatens Local Jobs in South Portland!
Get the Facts Before Election Day: Waterfront Workers Urge South Portland to Vote Against
the WPO Referendum on November 5th.